The eclectic neighborhood Appleton is mid-island, along the eastern shore. Island history points to early settler Charles Olds, patriarch of the first established settlement, as inspiration behind this neighborhood’s name. His family moved to their homestead on Mercer Island in 1885. The spring after they began residing here, the Olds family cleared 12 acres of land and planted them with apple trees. Charles nicknamed the orchards “Appleton.”
Within the neighborhood is the street Appleton Lane; a plaque is located here marking the Olds homestead. Some of those old apple trees are still standing. The homes here range from smaller cabins to luxury waterfront houses. The feeling of the neighborhood is open and light-filled. The streets, however, are on the narrow side and wind around many curves.
By Lisa Lewis. Copyright 2012 WRE/Mercer Island.